Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Headliner crackle?

Reactions
What I Drive
2019 Stinger GT1
That's good to know, great job on the write up..(y)

By the way, welcome aboard
I have a 19 gt1. I have been hearing the headliner crackle since day 1. Rest of car is tight. Maybe you can help me. I know when I press the headliner up towards the roof with the palm of my hand near the back of opening of roof the sound goes away. Where exactly did you press up and how hard...I don’t want to break anything. You mentioned use a flashlight and peel back headliner? Can I just press around the entire edge of headliner around roof area so I don’t have to pull back any components? Do you have a pic of where you pushed ?

Last edited:
Reactions
What I Drive
2019 Stinger GT1
Well I just got back from vacation.... using our 2019 Sorento...yes we are a Kia family for sure. Have to say the Sorento EX is a nice SUV. Had that thing packed for a two week trip to NJ shore with bike rack holding 3 bikes...drove great. Solid and Stable at highway speeds fully loaded.

Now to business.... I tried exactly what Turbocommuter said above regarding pushing up around the edge of the headliner all around the sunroof glass. I used the palm of my hand and gave a solid push all the way around. In two spots I felt and heard a "click".... you could feel the Velcro strips connecting better. Drove the car and now it is quite...not a single creek from up top. Had the car at two dealerships and neither could fix issue. They tighten all the bolts on the rails... grease the rails and told me they could not fix issue without ripping apart sunroof. I called them today and told them the fix for their records.

All that said, for all those that are hearing a plastic type crinkle sound from above your head.... not a rattle of metal.... and if you open sun shade or glass or tilt glass and non of that makes the sound go away....then most likely your fix is a 30 second push of the headliner where it meets the opening (all around) listening and feeling for a "click" sound is all all you need to do.

I am anal when it comes to noises from a new car and this noise is gone now.

Last edited:

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
Glad to hear it was a simple fix, nice job explaining the simple fix for the headliner..(y)

Reactions
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
Worked on mine too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions
City
Needham
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
21 Miata club (me), 19 GT1 (wife)
Holy crap. Now that is very irritating. The Stinger is silent compared to that.

Did VW ever found a solution for that?
Yes it only took 9 times at the dealer a couple of times they had the car several days. At one point they said there was nothing they could do so I had to call VW USA. Super annoying the car also used a quart of oil every 3K miles which is "normal". I was glad to part company with that garbage car

Reactions
State
AR
Country
United States
Well I just got back from vacation.... using our 2019 Sorento...yes we are a Kia family for sure. Have to say the Sorento EX is a nice SUV. Had that thing packed for a two week trip to NJ shore with bike rack holding 3 bikes...drove great. Solid and Stable at highway speeds fully loaded.

Now to business.... I tried exactly what Turbocommuter said above regarding pushing up around the edge of the headliner all around the sunroof glass. I used the palm of my hand and gave a solid push all the way around. In two spots I felt and heard a "click".... you could feel the Velcro strips connecting better. Drove the car and now it is quite...not a single creek from up top. Had the car at two dealerships and neither could fix issue. They tighten all the bolts on the rails... grease the rails and told me they could not fix issue without ripping apart sunroof. I called them today and told them the fix for their records.

All that said, for all those that are hearing a plastic type crinkle sound from above your head.... not a rattle of metal.... and if you open sun shade or glass or tilt glass and non of that makes the sound go away....then most likely your fix is a 30 second push of the headliner where it meets the opening (all around) listening and feeling for a "click" sound is all all you need to do.

I am anal when it comes to noises from a new car and this noise is gone now.
Thanks for sharing this, your tip did the trick, took me about 10 minutes to push all the spots around the headliner.

Reactions
City
Jonesboro
State
AR
Country
United States
What I Drive
2022 Stinger GT2 AWD - Ascot Green
You’ve given me hope.. I will try this “fix” today. I’ve only had my ‘22 for a few weeks and I only have 800 miles on it now.. I noticed this creaking, cracking almost immediately upon taking delivery of the car. My 2018 Stinger didn’t have this issue. It is not only driving me nuts but it also makes the car sound/feel cheaply made. I had a few passengers notice it and it didn’t give them a great impression of a brand new Kia. :(

Reactions
City
Ofallon
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2021 Kia Stinger GT2
You’ve given me hope.. I will try this “fix” today. I’ve only had my ‘22 for a few weeks and I only have 800 miles on it now.. I noticed this creaking, cracking almost immediately upon taking delivery of the car. My 2018 Stinger didn’t have this issue. It is not only driving me nuts but it also makes the car sound/feel cheaply made. I had a few passengers notice it and it didn’t give them a great impression of a brand new Kia. :(
Exact same issue as 2XStinger owner on my 2021 GT2 AWD…pulling out from dealer on purchase new I heard it…2000 miles now, still have it. I am going to try this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions
City
Ofallon
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2021 Kia Stinger GT2
Did not work for me :-(

Reactions
City
Cleveland
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2022 GT2
I got my stinger a few days ago brand new and it too has the creaking/crackling. I went in the garage and palm pushed around the perimeter of the sun roof. To my surprise it clicked something into place on the right and left side of the sunroof. Once on each side. Nothing front or back of it. I also sat in the back and pushed around the edges and center, but could not get anything to click. I have not driven since but will update when i do.

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
Reactions
City
Cleveland
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2022 GT2
Welcome @Stinger_Blinger hopefully you were able to fix it.
It seems to have helped but not totally eliminate various creaks. I live the car but wish this wasnt a thing. I guess it shows no product is perfect so we must make the best of it. Otherwise this car is so well rounded and awesome.

Reactions
City
Cleveland
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2022 GT2
Gotta add an update/observation. Alot of the creaks seem to be around the sunroof. Probably the rubber seals. Someone mentioned lubricating them. What lube do you use?

Mole

Reactions
City
M
State
OK
Country
United States
What I Drive
2022 Stinger
I got my stinger a few days ago brand new and it too has the creaking/crackling. I went in the garage and palm pushed around the perimeter of the sun roof. To my surprise it clicked something into place on the right and left side of the sunroof. Once on each side. Nothing front or back of it. I also sat in the back and pushed around the edges and center, but could not get anything to click. I have not driven since but will update when i do.
How hard did you push? I feel like I'm going to put a permanent palm print in the liner if I push any harder. I'm hearing the crackling noise above my head for sure. Didn't hear any clicks or snaps while pushing around sun roof.

Reactions
City
Ofallon
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2021 Kia Stinger GT2
Gotta add an update/observation. Alot of the creaks seem to be around the sunroof. Probably the rubber seals. Someone mentioned lubricating them. What lube do you use?
I had the “squeaking” on the seals around my drivers side window….put this on it…Gummi Pflege Stift' Rubber Care Stick…was totally skeptical…It worked!! Got it on amazon

Reactions
City
Cleveland
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2022 GT2
How hard did you push? I feel like I'm going to put a permanent palm print in the liner if I push any harder. I'm hearing the crackling noise above my head for sure. Didn't hear any clicks or snaps while pushing around sun roof.
Not too hard but ya i know what u mean. I was worried roo about permanently indenting it. I feel the creaks are really from the rubber seal of the sunroof. I need to try a lube on it.

Reactions
City
Cleveland
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2022 GT2
I had the “squeaking” on the seals around my drivers side window….put this on it…Gummi Pflege Stift' Rubber Care Stick…was totally skeptical…It worked!! Got it on amazon

I ordered it. Hope it works. Thanks!

Reactions
City
Ofallon
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2021 Kia Stinger GT2
I ordered it. Hope it works. Thanks!
I tried things like WD-40 silicone spray and others they didn’t work but this one dead hoping it works for you too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mole

Reactions
City
M
State
OK
Country
United States
What I Drive
2022 Stinger
Didn't work for me. I think it's coming from near the oh shit handles

Reactions
City
Ofallon
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2021 Kia Stinger GT2
Didn't work for me. I think it's coming from near the oh shit handles
One thing I tried, might have helped (maybe just in my mind)….I removed the handle…drove for a few days with it off, then put it back in but did not tighten super hard.