Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Radiator Stop Leak OK?

pah

Reactions
City
Sydney
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
What I Drive
Kia Stinger 330S
Guys,

My 2019 Stinger V6 has done a mere 5500 kms. It's not yet been back to Kia for its 12 months service. I can smell glycol coolant. Others on this site have noticed the coolant smell and raised the issue with Kia and the results it seems have been mixed.

There's no evidence of a coolant leak. The radiator level is not low. There's no pool of coolant anywhere. But the smell of coolant is offputting. Just wondering. Is it OK to add a bottle of Radiator Stop Leak? Has anybody tried this as a fix?

PAH

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Limited
I would not recommend adding anything.

I too have noticed a slight whif of coolant which seemed quite strange to me.

50,000kms, and no noticeable reduction in coolant level, and no leaks, no drops, no stains on the engine anywhere I can see.

But I have distinctly smelled the coolant when the engine is warm and the hood open.

Reactions
City
Beavercreek
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
Do NOT Do NOT Do NOT (see? I said it three times) use stop leak. Not on a new car with warranty. An old beater? maybe. It clogs ALL small passages to stop leaking. So... no. ;)

OP
P

pah

Reactions
City
Sydney
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
What I Drive
Kia Stinger 330S
Thread Starter #4
Thanks guys. I see no loss of fluid and the November service will rock around soon enough. I will raise the issue with my local deal then.

But if anybody has any info on the issue it'd be nice to know. Does Kia poke around this web site to determine customer concerns?

PAH

Reactions
I have a 19 GT1 - 15 months now at 5400 miles. Took in for the first oil change at approx 3K and brought up the smell. Was strong enough that my wife said “your car smells like coolant” based on her old cooper S turbo with coolant issues. Level was “low” but not worry-me-low. Dealer said no leaks found etc etc. Still have the smell but ZERO evidence of coolant loss.

Weebo

Reactions
City
Columbus
State
GA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Stinger gt2
Hey guys. I have a gt2 with 7500 miles and after driving just 4 miles I believe the plastic coolant distribution part spring a leak. Not sure if this is where you guys are getting the smell from, but take a look at yours. Mine is in the shop now getting fixed and I’ll update of that truly is the issue.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Limited
Hey guys. I have a gt2 with 7500 miles and after driving just 4 miles I believe the plastic coolant distribution part spring a leak. Not sure if this is where you guys are getting the smell from, but take a look at yours. Mine is in the shop now getting fixed and I’ll update of that truly is the issue.
Can you post a picture of the part you are talking about?

Was yours leaking on the ground?

Reactions
City
Mccormick
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 GT2
I smell coolant some times. I have 3100 miles and it’s a 2019 GT2 RWD. The overflow tanks Level is at the “ OK” Mark.
No sigh of leaks.

TaraFirma

Reactions
City
Leander
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Stinger GT2
Stop leak additives are the absolute worst thing you can put into an engine or AC system. DO NOT put in a stop leak additive.