Welcome to the #1 Genesis G80 Forum and Genesis G80 community dedicated to Genesis G80 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Genesis G80 Forum today!

Summer tire storage in cold climates; Purchasing Stinger during winter

Reactions
City
Hjdjxudh
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2006 Acura TSX
Hi there, according to tirerack.com and micheline's website, the performance summer tires are not to be driven on, stored, or even just used to support the weight of the vehicle in winter temperatures.

"Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle."

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...toYear=2018&autoModel=Stinger+GT&autoModClar=

My concern is that if I purchase the vehicle now, I would expect the car to have been transported in cold-to-very cold weather which could potentially damage the tire compound. Has anyone had any experience with this in regards to high performance tires? Am I overthinking it?

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
As you may know, performance tires have a lower tread-ware rating. Because of this, the tread is softer and hardens as temperatures plummet. If the temperature is too low, they harden and the overall performance of the tire is decrease considerably. Storing tires in climates that are not temperature controlled lessens the life of the tire. Dry rot, cracks, and aging rubber are the top three causes of blowouts.

You aren't overthinking it. If it is not a prolonged amount of time then you're fine. Inspect the tires if you decide to check the car out. My advice is to shop for some all-seasons or dedicated winter tread. Prices vary so getting the right tire for your driving style is warranted. I had a SRT8 300 with summer tires and I slid with almost no snow on the ground. It is dangerous to do and you will be saving your butt if you get winter tires. There is no downside to this besides being out a grand or so but it beats the alternative.. Let me know if you need any help

Dan

ATXStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
My concern is that if I purchase the vehicle now, I would expect the car to have been transported in cold-to-very cold weather which could potentially damage the tire compound. Has anyone had any experience with this in regards to high performance tires? Am I overthinking it?
You should be fine, tires aren't that easily damaged during transportation. There's also a big difference between transporting and winter storage which does suggest that you lift the car off the ground as to not put weight on the tires.

nikpmd

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 BMW 335i xDrive M-Sport
Is it then a safer option to just get a car with All Seasons and then switch out to summer performance when needed ?

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
Is it then a safer option to just get a car with All Seasons and then switch out to summer performance when needed ?
Depending on your location in Washington, you could probably get away with summer tires if it doesn't get below 35 or so constantly. The safest and most convenient thing to do is have two sets of wheels and tires. One for winter and one for the other three seasons. That way you don't run into mounting and balancing every time you go to switch tires.