Welcome to the #1 Genesis G80 Forum and Genesis G80 community dedicated to Genesis G80 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Genesis G80 Forum today!

Do I really have a peg leg?

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Question...My understanding is that unless you bought a GT2, all 2018 GTs had a peg leg rear diff (one wheel provides traction). How is it that I just laid 2 tracks?

Attachments

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
That is interesting, maybe you have an anomaly:unsure: @CKeeler

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
I dont see anything wrong here.
Just smiles ;)

OP
CKeeler

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Thread Starter #4
I thought it was interesting to see. I’ve had three Mustangs with open diffs and none of them laid tracks like this. Maybe I’ve got a special one. Yay me!

TurboTx

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
LSD was an option on the 2018 GT. Do you still have your Monroney window sticker? If so it should be listed if yours has it.

OP
CKeeler

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Thread Starter #6
As far as my understanding of it, 2018 GTs equipped with the safety tech package and GT2s were the only ones with Limited slip. I’ll have to dig out my window sticker and see what it says

Thakid22

Reactions
State
AR
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Kia Stinger GT2
Question...My understanding is that unless you bought a GT2, all 2018 GTs had a peg leg rear diff (one wheel provides traction). How is it that I just laid 2 tracks?
Both an open differential (peg leg diff) and an LSD Power both rear wheels.
The difference is that when one rear wheel spins faster than the other, the LSD will lock and both wheels will get a similar amount of power. So you see two spin marks at most times when there is wheelspin.

An open differential will also make two spin marks as long as the rear tires have similar traction on both sides of the car. However, if one rear wheel has significantly less traction than the other, the wheel with less traction will receive more of the power distribution than the wheel with traction. That leads to the low traction wheel spinning/slipping (leaving a mark on the pavement) and the high traction wheel relatively unpowered and just along for the ride (leaving no mark).

Just remember that regular diffs power both wheels evenly until one starts spinning faster than the other, then that faster spinning wheel receives an ever increasing amount of the rear ends power.

LSD addresses this by mechanically locking the wheels together in situations where one wheel might spin faster than the other.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
yesitsakia Off Topic Chat 2
PSIaddict Off Topic Chat 1