Welcome to the #1 Genesis G80 Forum and Genesis G80 community dedicated to Genesis G80 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Genesis G80 Forum today!

DIY; ARK Performance Stinger GT-F Lowering Springs Installation Guide

TEAM ARK

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger G2
Hey offroading guys! (a little height joke...[lovekia])

Here is a DIY installation guide of our GT-F lowering springs. Please note the color of the springs in the photos is a test color. GT-F springs are orange.

Tools needed:
10mm socket
13mm socket
17mm socket
19mm socket
17mm crescent wrench
----------------
To prepare for the spring installment have your car on the lift or jack stands with all 4 wheels off the ground and have the hood open. If you cannot have all four wheels off the ground at the same time we recommend at least two wheels off the ground. Front as a pair and/or rear as a pair. Remove your wheels and set aside.

Starting in the rear, we must first disconnect the headlight sensor on the driver side by popping the clip out to release the sensor. A 10mm socket is then used to unbolt and remove the cover underneath the lower control arm.

IMG_001W.jpg
IMG_002W.jpg
IMG_003W.jpg

Use the 17mm socket to remove the linkage bolt connecting lower control arm to the strut. Then unclip the suspension sensor on the strut.

IMG_004W.jpg
IMG_005W.jpg

Next remove the ABS sensor with a 10mm socket.

IMG_006W.jpg

Switch to a 13mm socket to remove the bracket for the suspension sensors and position it off to the side.

IMG_007W.jpg
IMG_008W.jpg

Brace the rear lower control arm from underneath for your safety. Then, using a 19mm wrench and impact gun, remove the 2 bolts on the lower control arm connecting the LCA to the strut and the knuckle.

IMG_009W.jpg
IMG_010W.jpg

Pull down rear lower control arm and remove spring.

IMG_011W.jpg
IMG_012W.jpg

To reassemble follow the steps in reverse making sure that the spring is seated flush in the groove on the lower control arm with the rubber mount replaced on top. Be sure to brace the lower control arm before tightening the strut tower and rear knuckle.

IMG_013W.jpg
IMG_014W.jpg
IMG_015W.jpg

Moving to the front of the car. A 10mm socket is used to remove the brake line bracket on the engine side of the strut. A 10mm socket is going to be used to remove the bracket behind the caliper towards the front of the car.

IMG_016W.jpg
IMG_017W.jpg

Then switch to a 13mm socket to remove the bolt for the bracket above. This allows you to move the wiring out of the way in order to unclip the sensor behind the strut.

IMG_018W.jpg
IMG_019W.jpg

Use a 17mm socket to remove lower strut bolts. We sprayed WD-40 around the strut bolts so that they would slide out easier. The lubricant is optional.

IMG_020W.jpg
IMG_021W.jpg

The nut towards the top of the strut is a tricky one. Grab your 17mm crescent wrench to hold the nut in place while you use a socket wrench with an Allen key to loosen the inner bolt. The link should slide out.

IMG_022W.jpg
IMG_023W.jpg

Unbolt the outer tier rod. First remove the holding pin. A 19mm is the used to remove bolt on steering knuckle. Grab the rotor at 3 and 9 o'clock and mimic left and right turns to loosen the outer tie rod bolt and then pull out.

IMG_024W.jpg
IMG_025W.jpg

We found it safer, easier, and faster to leave the top hat on the vehicle as we remove the strut and spring assembly. Place spring compressors snuggly on the spring as you prepare for the next step. From the engine bay. unbolt the top nut from the strut by using a 19mm socket then tilt the strut and springs assembly towards you. Be mindful of the fender while you pull it out. Remove the top hat from the vehicle by using a 14mm socket to remove the three nuts that hold it in place.

IMG_027W.jpg
IMG_028W.jpg
IMG_029W.jpg

We used a compressor to compress the spring before reinstalling the top hat. If you do not have a compressor, manual spring compressors must be used. Since we did not remove the brakes from the lower control arm one must carefully clear the fender upon reinstallation so as to not scratch the vehicle itself when replacing the strut with the newly installed spring.

IMG_030W.jpg
IMG_031W.jpg

And that's it! Please consult with your Kia Stinger expert on torque specs on all stock nuts and bolts.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Bahrain
What I Drive
2011 - 997.2TT
Excellent write up, I had to remove the whole brake/hub assembly in the front to get the suspension assembly out. I see that you found the trick to removing them by compressing the spring while in the car, very cool.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
awesome write up guys, thanks for doing it. Will certainly help when I get to do this.

Reactions
City
Beavercreek
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
Thank you so much!
I can do this myself now!
[high five]

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Does anyone know/have the torque specs for the front and rear suspension?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
Saab 9-5 AERO. Stinger GT on order
Steve O here. Many of you may recall my ranting and complaining about a too soft suspension. I put in Eibach's (which I love) and then the shocks were still way too soft. Not to worry. I have the solution. The adaptive shocks have a default mode if they lose the computer control. They fail firm. Very firm. So I wired a toggle switch into the driver side front shock solenoid and with the flick of a switch I have SUPER SPORT mode. If the computer discovers the fault the transmission defaults to comfort and you have to make the circuit and restart the car to go back to computer happy operation. BUT, you can drive for a few minutes before that happens. So I can select SUPER SPORT for a few minutes then switch back and the computer doesn't notice and I'm a happy camper. I was set to spend $1500 US plus freight plus installation plus taxes... about $3000. I tested my idea and SHAZAM! SUPER SPORT suspension for $300. That's having a local shop splice in and mount the toggle in an inconspicuous spot. I'll send pics when I get around to it. IN the meantime the car is very firm and now capable of being tossed around like it's 3000 lbs.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
[MENTION=148]Steve O[/MENTION] That is great info. Please make a new thread with this great new found information. Looking forward to it.

54ford.rs

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Quick quest on this. I installed the with sway bars and adjustable end links and now I have some clunking noise over every bump. I have checked all the bolt tightness to torque specs and they are good but I am at a loss. I did take the control arms off the front and wonder if the ball joints aren't seated properly. Any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Gscianna

Reactions
City
Mesa
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Stinger GT1
Quick quest on this. I installed the with sway bars and adjustable end links and now I have some clunking noise over every bump. I have checked all the bolt tightness to torque specs and they are good but I am at a loss. I did take the control arms off the front and wonder if the ball joints aren't seated properly. Any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
What did you do to resolve this issue? I just installed and am having the same issue.

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
What did you do to resolve this issue? I just installed and am having the same issue.
You need to use loctite on the threads where the lock nut is then let it sit for 12 hours so it can dry.

Attachments