Welcome to the #1 Genesis G80 Forum and Genesis G80 community dedicated to Genesis G80 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Genesis G80 Forum today!

Kia Stinger vs Camaro SS

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
[video=youtube;JxF_sBCfbik]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxF_sBCfbik&feature=share[/video]

Kia Stinger - Intake, Downpipes, Exhaust, Plugs and tune.
Camaro SS - Exhaust, Intake and Cammed.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
I'mmmmmmmmmm lov'in it!!!!

Reactions
What I Drive
Stinger GT AWD
Raced an SS (5th Gen?) 1st gear roll through 2nd gear. Stayed at his door throughout before slowing for conditions.

Not bad for a KIA!

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Raced an SS (5th Gen?) 1st gear roll through 2nd gear. Stayed at his door throughout before slowing for conditions.

Not bad for a KIA!
Welcome to the forum!

Reactions
City
San Diego
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2022 Pearl Stinger GT-line 2.5L AWD
Stock 2020 GT AWD little options (reduced curb weight) beat them light to light racing all the time ...stock! Maybe I have a factory freak ...

Reactions
What I Drive
Stinger GT AWD
Not so much a factory freak than the Stinger GT begins making max torque at 1,300 rpm and that Camaro SS's and other high power RWD cars usually can't get the power down.

Reactions
City
San Diego
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
...and what's the use of all that power if you can't get it down on the ground ;)... uhhh roll racing Used to have this guy in town with a modified LX 5.0 1988 Stanger... yeah he could race... but you had to be going at least 40 mph or he just spun out badly ... at the strip when he put on the slicks and heated them up... it was a 10 second car... on the street... roll racing only.

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
...and what's the use of all that power if you can't get it down on the ground ;)... uhhh roll racing Used to have this guy in town with a modified LX 5.0 1988 Stanger... yeah he could race... but you had to be going at least 40 mph or he just spun out badly ... at the strip when he put on the slicks and heated them up... it was a 10 second car... on the street... roll racing only.
That’s a problem with improper suspension setup. Most “car nuts” just want to go fast in a straight line and forget to upgrade suspension and brakes.

Reactions
What I Drive
Stinger GT AWD
I've owned/raced 9 moderately modified V8 Mustangs, most of them Fox body's. Getting power to the ground in a modified RWD street car like the '88 which weighs 3,180 lbs is difficult at best (worse if it's been lightened).

It can be accomplished, but at a cost since handling (suspension different for straight line vs. cornering) and usability (slicks slide in the rain) goes right out the window (search "Hellcat, Demon, Redeye").

That's why I entered into the AWD performance market. First with a Taurus SHO, then a Fusion Sport, and now the Stinger GT.

The Stinger GT is a keeper. (y)

Reactions
City
San Diego
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
I've owned/raced 9 moderately modified V8 Mustangs, most of them Fox body's. Getting power to the ground in a modified RWD street car like the '88 which weighs 3,180 lbs is difficult at best (worse if it's been lightened).

It can be accomplished, but at a cost since handling (suspension different for straight line vs. cornering) and usability (slicks slide in the rain) goes right out the window (search "Hellcat, Demon, Redeye").

That's why I entered into the AWD performance market. First with a Taurus SHO, then a Fusion Sport, and now the Stinger GT.

The Stinger GT is a keeper. (y)
Same here... I had a 1987 Mustang GT, 1991, 1994 and 2001. Very difficult to keep them horses on the ground. I believe this cowboy ;) just did the engine and ignored the rest somewhat.. he did keep the same gears though ... what was it 2:73s in the LX I know I had 3:08s and the State Trooper 5.0s had 3:23s if I remember. Same reason I love AWD ;) Oh yeah, my brother bought a Hellcat and lives in Miami area. Then there's that 2020 Mopar Dodge Challenger Drag Pak edition that appeared @ SEMA, isn't street legal but is NHRA certified for a 7.50-second ET on the strip LOL! See that fox body racing that gutted Tesla P100D video ? Major argument in that video when it came to traction ... 0 - 100 under 6 second Tesla AWD. I don't know if they were using track bite for the Mustang or something else... then using a propane torch to heat the surface rubber, and scrape the rubber away or just heat it up?? anyway here's a prime example of what you're talking about racing for $$$

Reactions
What I Drive
Stinger GT AWD
Same here... I had a 1987 Mustang GT, 1991, 1994 and 2001. Very difficult to keep them horses on the ground. I believe this cowboy ;) just did the engine and ignored the rest somewhat.. he did keep the same gears though ... what was it 2:73s in the LX I know I had 3:08s and the State Trooper 5.0s had 3:23s if I remember ....[/MEDIA]
Yup, 2.73's were standard and 3.08's were optional. All of the new Fox body's I owned came with 2.73's. lol

Great vid. My cars were making no where near the hp that it seems those Stangs were putting out. But my method for consistent traction was using autoX tires (soft compund/shaved), 3.55 gears, launching just above idle and nailing it. Earned me a trophy in bracket racing ...

Reactions
City
San Diego
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Came across a Red SS outside of Menifee on 79 in an open 3 lane stretch in the desert... he blew by me as I was cruising at 60. He eventually slowed down and I catch up to him and signal to roll... guess he didn't want to roll ... oh well... flyby is easy to do :)

Reactions
City
San Diego
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Yup, 2.73's were standard and 3.08's were optional. All of the new Fox body's I owned came with 2.73's. lol

Great vid. My cars were making no where near the hp that it seems those Stangs were putting out. But my method for consistent traction was using autoX tires (soft compund/shaved), 3.55 gears, launching just above idle and nailing it. Earned me a trophy in bracket racing ...
I put 3.73s in my 2001 GT... seemed to be the magic # to take on the Camaro/firebird F-bodies at the time on the street....

Reactions
What I Drive
Stinger GT AWD
I put 3.73s in my 2001 GT... seemed to be the magic # to take on the Camaro/firebird F-bodies at the time on the street....
Stock for Stock/Mod for Mod, Camaro's weren't a challenge for my Stangs until the introduction of the LT1. Then things became interesting, and with the advent of the LS1 Ford played catch up until 2011 when the Coyote entered the game.

Reactions
City
San Diego
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
I had a 2000 Z28 LS1... yeah it was fast... best time at the track STOCK was 13.43, 13.5s avg. 13.7 below avg. Automatic. 0 - 60 was around 5.1 give or take... All you had to do was change the torque converter and put on a set of slicks, and that was good for 12's easy with that car!

Reactions
What I Drive
Stinger GT AWD
Yup, a bone stock LS1 Z28 was a solid high 13 second car.

Car and Driver tested a '99 model ("Camaro vs. Mustang Again" Feb. 99) and the Z ran a 13.8@104 mph vs. the Stang's 14.2@98 mph.