Welcome to the #1 Genesis G80 Forum and Genesis G80 community dedicated to Genesis G80 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Genesis G80 Forum today!

Stop Start Issue when Auto Hold is engaged

Reactions
State
UT
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Have any of you experienced issues when you're using Auto Hold and the Start Stop lurches/clunks forward? It almost feels like you've been rear-ended. Thanks for any feedback.

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
No, I haven't had any issues, but I don't use it very much.

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
Mine is by all means not as smooth as others I've experienced but its nowhere near the feeling of getting rear ended

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Is it happening when you are coming to the stop or leaving the stop?

OP
Triumvph
Reactions
State
UT
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Thread Starter #6
Is it happening when you are coming to the stop or leaving the stop?
When stopped in traffic with auto hold and start/stop on (motor off) when I press the accelerator to drive away it lurches/clunks like a car has hit me from the rear. I have actually stopped and gotten out of my car to see inspect the damage... I have stopped using the auto hold even though I really liked the feature. As always [MENTION=291]MurlinatoR[/MENTION] your help and insight are invaluable!! Thanks!

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
When stopped in traffic with auto hold and start/stop on (motor off) when I press the accelerator to drive away it lurches/clunks like a car has hit me from the rear. I have actually stopped and gotten out of my car to see inspect the damage... I have stopped using the auto hold even though I really liked the feature. As always [MENTION=291]MurlinatoR[/MENTION] your help and insight are invaluable!! Thanks!
I'm just asking, are you a left foot breaker? If so it sounds like you are stepping on the throttle before the car starts up, if you do it will lurch forward.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
I'm just asking, are you a left foot breaker? If so it sounds like you are stepping on the throttle before the car starts up, if you do it will lurch forward.
For me it does as soon as I put my foot on the throttle

Same here, it seems worst in stop and go traffic.

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
I do notice with newer cars that it takes about a half a second to three quarters of a second, when you put the car in drive it takes about that half a second or so to engage the rear wheels. The car does the same thing when you use the stop & go feature in the car.

My EX used to hit the throttle before the transmission engaged the front wheels and it always made a clunk noise an lurched forward and she had a 2016 Kia Optima EX. Try waiting until the car starts to roll then hit the throttle, see if that works. Just a suggestion. Hope everything works out for you.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Well [MENTION=713]Triumvph[/MENTION], it looks like we're having some conversations of our own today, huh... LOL

So, try something on your next drive. Try using BOTH systems like you've done before. This time, when it's time to move, tap the gas pedal TWO times briefly (tap....tap). Let me know if this changes the response???

What's happening is that you are using TWO different systems. When you simply step on the accelerator one time to drive away the engine surges when the brake is released. If you tap it to start the engine and then again to release the brake, that surge will not occur.

Last edited:
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Whenever I use the auto hold feature I'll just tap on the brake pedal again and hold it down, this disengages the hold then auto starts the car, no issues here.

OP
Triumvph
Reactions
State
UT
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Thread Starter #12
Thanks for all of the suggestions! I am definitely not a left foot breaker LOL! I will try the double tap to release auto hold and then engage the engine! Cheers!

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Kia Stinger GT2
Well [MENTION=713]Triumvph[/MENTION], it looks like we're having some conversations of our own today, huh... LOL

So, try something on your next drive. Try using BOTH systems like you've done before. This time, when it's time to move, tap the gas pedal TWO times briefly (tap....tap). Let me know if this changes the response???

What's happening is that you are using TWO different systems. When you simply step on the accelerator one time to drive away the engine surges when the brake is released. If you tap it to start the engine and then again to release the brake, that surge will no occur.
I think that is exactly it. When I'm at a light with the auto hold on and engine off, I see the light change a few cars a head then I just lightly tap the accelerator which turns the engine on but keeps the auto hold break engaged and then when I'm ready to go then I push on the accelerator and that seems to work best.

But I have noticed it will lurch forward if it is off and I push the accelerator down to go, its not like being rear ended but its almost like starting a car in gear not from neutral as the best way to describe the feeling but since I'm usually wanting to go I don't have an issue per say with it but I do hear a little knock when that happens in the front of the car. I prefer to have the engine started before I go like I mentioned earlier for that reason.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Another small side note here, these brakes are big and strong.

It's very common to get a little bit of chatter upon releasing the brake as the caliper releases and the drive train is driving the wheels.

OP
Triumvph
Reactions
State
UT
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Thread Starter #15
Another small side note here, these brakes are big and strong.

It's very common to get a little bit of chatter upon releasing the brake as the caliper releases and the drive train is driving the wheels.
Thanks [MENTION=291]MurlinatoR[/MENTION]! The double tap works perfectly!!

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Thanks [MENTION=291]MurlinatoR[/MENTION]! The double tap works perfectly!!
WONDERFUL!!!!!!

I'm very happy to hear that this frustration will no longer haunt your dreams at night! ;-)